Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Malawi Day 4 (Wednesday)

“Set a fire down in my soul that I can’t contain, that I can’t control” these are the words we sang today on the steps of MCM with sweet, little children in our laps. Often times people ask what “we’re going to do for the kids in Africa” or “how we’re going to help”. What they don’t understand is that we are not the heroes. If anything, they are teaching us. You would think that us TKA students are here loving on these kids, and while that is true, we too are being blessed by their love.   

I am a part of the reading group, and I get the opportunity to work with the older kids. After struggling through a few books, we decided to take a break and work on my Chichewa (the native language of Malawi). How it worked was, I would draw a picture and write the English word, and they would teach me how to say it in Chichewa. It was not long before they broke into hysterical laughter because…well, let’s just say I’m not the best artist. Despite being made fun of by 12 year olds, I ended up learning a lot of Chichewa and connecting with the kids. It was another great day in Africa!

Thanks for reading. We love you parents!
-Sara Lasher

















No comments:

Post a Comment