Thursday, April 13, 2017

Malawi Day 5 (Thursday)

Hi Friends and Family!

Today we started off the day at the market, which was exciting but very fast. We got to bargain and learn a bit more about the Malawian culture. Then, we were off to MCM and got into our groups. I am part of the reading group, and I have kids in the third grade. I have a group of 8 of the most adorable children ever! Our book is The Three Little Pigs, and their favorite part is saying, “not by the hair of my chinny chin chin,” (refer to previous blogs for explanation of what we are doing).   But, I usually can’t keep them seated for more than 10 minutes before they ask to go play Duck Duck Goose.

However, the most special part of today was when we announced that each family is being given a lamp. It took quite a while to hand out all of them, but they were so thankful, and you could just see the love in their eyes when you handed it to them. Finally, when all the lamps were handed out, they all held them up in the air, and it was just amazing to see how such a simple thing made them so happy.

We finished off the day with different activities like making modeling clay figurines and playing soccer. I particularly bonded with two of the children while juggling around different balls. We played little games of who could juggle the most, and of course, both of them beat me by a long shot. But they had so much patience and were so excited that I was playing with them. When it was finally time to say goodbye, I left feeling so loved and excited to come back tomorrow.

We love you Parents and Friends!

- Lydia Marku

*********************************************************************************

Hello from Malawi!

Today started out as a normal Thursday with Hanna Sandquist banging on our door in attempts to wake up my roommates and I. After a delicious breakfast of pancakes and sausage, we all jammed into our bus and drove to the market to buy souvenirs. I was able to purchase some presents for my sisters and myself while shimmying through the crowd of people. We then drove to MCM on bumpy dirt roads while evading bikes and trucks along the way. When we arrived, the rest of the computer team and I went into a classroom to teach some high-schoolers how to type and make documents. I have three people in my group: Chifundo, Funnie, and Bertha who are all sixteen. Through the frustration, they were all able to understand the importance of the “home row” hand-placement and why they need it to be able to type quickly and efficiently.

Then the two teams, computer and reading, grouped up in the main hall and passed out rechargeable camping lights to the children and teachers. It was so amazing to see all of the lanterns lit up and the peoples’ smiles while they figured out that they were able to keep and take care of something that was their own. Afterwards, we headed into the library to eat pb&j sandwiches, oranges, and “crisps” (chips) to refuel for the time of play that would follow.

I played soccer and volleyball with Bridget (yes Mom, Cait’s Bridget :D), and I’ve never sweat so much in my life. Calvin and a few of the older boys at MCM joined in and the game became more intense and way more amusing. The bell sounded and everyone headed back to the main hall for devotions and worship. There is an adorable song that they love to sing where they are metaphorically beating Satan and destroying him with the power of Christ. I was lucky enough to have a little boy film a song on my camera, and all of us Americans looked ridiculous! During the rest of the day, our group split into three stations: molding clay, markers and paper, and paper airplanes. Those of us who chose not to partake in these activities played tag, basketball, soccer, and modeled for photo shoots. A little girl named Alenna, who has become quite attached to me, grabbed my hand and led me to where a few of the girls were making paper beads. I was so proud of the three little, misshaped beads that I made in ten minutes until I looked around and saw little Alenna’s perfect pile of beads that she made in half my time. I will just say that was a learning experience…

  I miss you guys, but I may never come home!

Lots of love,

- Claire















2 comments:

  1. Claire, we love you. I am incredibly happy you are following God's leading. Chloe and I had a great experience in Tecate. I miss you and am praying for you daily.

    Love you"

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Dad is home, we are connected, and we are finally able to send you messages. Malawi team, your updates have been fantastic. Thank you, thank you! We are soaking up every detail and every picture you post. We appreciate you taking the time (when you are already exhausted) to share and bring us into your day. You are being covered in prayer, morning through night!
    It is almost Easter, and we are planning to celebrate with our neighbors! Pray for Easter to gain new meaning for these loved ones who do not yet know Jesus! And as for you, sweet Malawi team, may your celebration be significant and joyful. May Jesus continue to bind you together in His love. May you be the fragrance of Christ everywhere you go!
    You are missed, but mostly we are excited for the work God is doing in and through you!
    Give my "lemons and sunshine girlie" a big hug ... she may have jelly beans to share! If you haven't told your leaders how much you appreciate them, do it now. :D
    Happy Easter all! He is Risen!!!
    Claire - Caitlin may be home wearing all your clothes. I'll make sure she doesn't boost anything. :)
    Love,
    Kimberly (mom)

    ReplyDelete